Monday, August 20, 2012

Time to Start "The Artist's Way" Again...

Twelve years ago, this book changed my life.  I go through it, usually have a flurry of creative activity, and then I believe a very convincing lie: "I should be able to create now without this thing."

I honestly think that at some point in my adulthood, I should be strong enough to able to do anything I want without any kind of validation or support.  As if inspiration, motivation, and honest compassion were trinkets I could keep or discard at a whim. 

The pattern has been, I work and try and work and try, then reach out for that support again when I feel totally drained and used up.  

I'm the child of alcoholics.  Explosive, disruptive, and unstable people shaped my thinking from infancy.  I will probably need a spiritual and mental chiropractic adjustment at regular intervals for the rest of my life.  And that's okay. 

So, it's time, among other things, to go through "The Artist's Way" again.  I'm looking forward to the beauty it brings into my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment